Thursday, April 23, 2009

1st time

obedience! That's my conviction this week. In my lecture this week at Bible Study, she talked about first time obedience....and I have been slacking as a parent....I so bad want to give my kids chances to obey because I don't want to discipline them. I never would have thought that first time obedience would come in the middle of Deuteromony, but it did.
The chapters were a review of what had happened so far in Israel's journey from Egypt. Moses talks about how he disobeyed by striking the rock twice instead of simply doing what God asked which was to speak to the rock. Therefore, Moses wasn't able to enter the promised land, which is a pretty mild punishment when he could have been struck dead, like other disobedient Israelites.
You know, God could have said, "I know what you meant, you were angry, you meant to just speak but you accidently hit the rock. Next time....." But he didn't. He said (in my own words) You disobeyed and here is your punishment, no excuses.

So my question this week on my Bible Study is "how am I going to apply what I learned at lecture?" Well, I am trying to work on that first time obedience once again (I go in out of phases of this)....
Obey
without challenge,
without excuse,
without delay (from the book Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp)

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Courtney and the Boys said...

I love this...great reminder!!!!