Saturday, September 18, 2010

Something New


I just finished my first canning experience, and it was fun! I had to trial it in a small batch to make sure I knew what I was doing....I have always been nervous to actually can. Growing up, Mom always used a pressure canner and I knew I was too afraid to try that! It would probably explode on me...hee hee....anyway, so I went with the boiling method and it went pretty smoothly...except for the fact that I am a last minute person and didn't really check all my ingredients first:) So I made a quick run to the grocery to get a very large bag of sugar!

So now I have a nice little stash of my very own Strawberry Rhubarb Spice Jam! Now....what to do with the rest of my strawberries and rhubarb?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Julie B. said...

Those little jars are adorable! :)

I've always wanted to try canning, too. I got all the equipment & accessories as a wedding gift 11 yrs ago, and I have yet to open them!!

aklopfen said...

Oh, Julie, You need to get it out! Bring it to my house and we can can our applesauce this year! Do you want to do that again? I need to do some applesauce anyway.

T and M said...

I like the little labels you had on your jars.

I pressure canned pears this year- first time on my own with the pressure canner. it made me nervous ( : but it was so much faster than canning. Once I even forgot about it and the pressure needle went up into the "Caution" reading-and nothing blew up!

aklopfen said...

I figured it probably wasn't as scary as I thought, but I just was too nervous to try....oh, well, I now have invested in the water canner....do you have a pear tree? just curious