Monday, September 6, 2010

I need ideas


This weekend I re-did a piece of furniture that was in our basement (the green cabinet). It was a dark walnut with a "lovely" (not) pickle finish with brass hardware. I even reused the hardware...just a little black and silver spray paint. I was super excited to put it in our bedroom and use it as my new sewing cabinet. We are blessed with abundant space in our bedroom. I also had a great big mirror that went over my long dresser (part of our bedroom suite that's 20+ yrs. old). I have been wanting to paint the frame black to pull in other black elements in the room. Anyway, I was touching up with the second coat of paint and let it dry outside. Later, I heard a thump and to my horrific surprise the wind blew it over and broke all the mirror out! I was SO sad and sought out hugs to recuperate:) After I cleaned the mess up, I just couldn't bear to give up. I had looked forward to painting this mirror for over a year and just now got to it! So I put it up anyway (refusing to be defeated by the wind) and used it as sort of a bulletin board. So I thought I would ask you what you would do....Do you have any brilliant ideas for using this piece? Does it look stupid with pictures hanging? Would you go get a piece of mirror cut for it? I was trying not to spend any money....also, look at the wall....I was thinking of hanging something to the left (3 of something, just don't know what)....any ideas? Probably put an upholstered wood chair (need it to sew with anyway) as decor to the left as well....I have one I found in the trash a while back..

Would love to hear what you'd do...especially with the tragic mirror!

Thanks! Oh, I don't want to leave out the fact that my kids are great helpers! Molly (aka Cinderella) took all the bolts out of the back of my lovely mirror and all the kids took all the hardware off of our furniture and replaced it with updated hardware! Great kids!
Abby

5 comments:

L, Ann and boys said...

So sad...maybe you could find a mirror similar to that one at a thrift shop and use that mirror, having one cut would be pricey. I watched an older man I grew up next door to cut glass once with a glass knife. Super interesting. You run the specific glass knife along a line and then snap the glass along that cut line that must have made it weaker there. That doesn't really help, other than maybe you could ask an antique dealer or someone to help you cut a piece for a song if you find the right person.

Hope something works out

An

smw said...

maybe you could get some fabric that incorporates the redish color, the green and the black and put it behind the pictures. obviously that would probably cost something, but it would be cheaper than cutting a new mirror. ? hope you come up with something! so sad.

aklopfen said...

I did ponder putting some fabric up...nothing I have matches really. So I will have to wait and see.

T and M said...

i guess it depends whether you really need a mirror above the dresser, or if you have another mirror in your bedroom? If you have another mirror already, I vote for making this one into a magnetic chalkboard. 1 quart (3 coats) of magnetic chalkboard paint should do it. Sounds funny to have a chalkboard in your bedroom, but i think it'd be cool to put up some bible verses or love notes on it-as long as it doesn't get cluttery- plus if it's magnetic you could always get a couple cool stainless steel clips & hang a picture or postcard or misc....

Good luck-I can personally relate with the tragedy of having a highly anticipated decor project go awry ( :

aklopfen said...

oooo! Like that idea too!
ab